I found this figure first.

I asked a man near the funky frames about the vacant space beyond the fence.
Tracy told me he remembered shopping there with his mother as a small child in the late 60's when produce and live chickens were sold there (and then it turned out that, David, one of our troop, had the same native memories of the market.) Tracy seemed as open and un-selfconcious as possible as I looked at his face through my lens. I was almost afraid to look, but how could I not. Most people do not come across this way, especially complete strangers with a camera stuck in their face. It was a little shocking. I found his face, gaze and persona a bit haunting, made my curious to know more of his story, such apparent accessibility seems mysterious.
Inside for a warm up and a few shots of people without permission because they were more or less occupied.
Back alley action...
led to an invitation to see some meat, in this case smoked goat, whose skin was said to be favored by West Africans. I saw lambs too, unsmoked, forget who favors them - maybe the ladies below, not sure what kind of a meat place this was, and lots of frozen parts, but never got around to the front of the house.

The animals were from PA, but not being much of a meat person, I left to play in the alley and take another spin through Brooklyn in DC, where Adriel and Augusto pointed Lisa and me to Dolcezza

















No comments:
Post a Comment