Monday, February 16, 2015

Since I wasn't able to participate in the LOC shoot last week I thought I'd take advantage of the Reading Room Open House today (President's Day).  Arriving at 9:55 and anticipating beating the crowd, boy was I surprised - the place was filled with people.  Nevertheless, it was a nostalgic and wonder filled experience. Nostalgic because, as a college student at U of MD I had come here many times to do research for papers.  I mean, with this kind of local resource why not take advantage of it?  The place had not changed one iota.  But this time I paid more attention to the architectural beauty of the surroundings. Many of you had truly stunning pictures from your previous shoot here so I tried to not duplicate them but rather capture the essence of what this place is all about - knowledge through learning, hopefully leading, over time, to wisdom.  So here are my pictures and story.

Welcome

The stunning beauty of the art and architecture

The Reading Room

The magnificent architecture

Time ceases to apply

And where is this, you ask?

A little something added for light and interest.

Oh yes, what is this place all about?
Card catalogs!  What is this?
Filling out the book request.



The place where we wait for our books to appear.
What this place is all about - books,




And books,
And books,


And more books - hopefully bringing knowledge.

Yet the beauty is all around us
To gaze upon....

Behold,
And enjoy!

  

2 comments:

  1. David, it was worth the wait to be able to get to the main reading room.
    I like your perspective looking up and capturing the ceiling details. Excellent job getting all those straight lines. My favorites are the one with the open book and the one with the pencil sharpener.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Augusto - great lines and I also like how you chose to zoom in or cropped the subjects. You captured the full ceiling too! Are you using a wide angle lens or is it just the difference in perspective that you're one floor further down?

    ReplyDelete